our very own Cheap Trip to Mt Hagen show in Papua new guinea . hidden gems - airport motel hagen and banz kofi
Plan was in motion .We had arrived in Port Moresby and it was time to fly to Mount Hagen .
If you don`t know what is MT Hagen show - Read my review about the show and some tip that you might find helpful. - REAL REVIEW OF MT HAGEN SHOW IN PNG BY BACKPACKERS WHO WENT WITH NO GUIDE.
Flight was packed . No empty seat around . We watched mountains under plane wings and then landed on a small airport strip. All we could see was green as far as you look . Fog sliding in between mountain tops , and first chill could be felt.
Driver was waiting from Mt hagen Airport motel that turned out to be a pleasant surprise overall .
Reasons why we loved this place ?
- Well its cheap ( during the festival we paid only K 250 per night . For PNG during peak season when there is festival this amazing rate .
- free transport to and from airport
- Free transport to and from showgrounds
- Amazingly giant portions of food . Sometimes we ordered 1 portion and shared .
- Very few people staying – quiet place
- Next to the airport
- Next to the coffee chop
- And very close to Showgrounds !
K 250 per night
What we didn't like?
- No social atmosphere, but that is in most of PNG
- Confusing shower. Didn't realise how to use hot water until last day .
- Missed first day because of misinformation at the reception , but they definitely made up for that with other positive things .
Didn't realise how to use hot water until last day .
We arrived in hotel . Lady from reception led us upstairs and showed to our room . It was simple , modest with bathroom . But that all we really needed.
We ordered early dinner and chilled at the table outside and talked . Massive food plates arrived and after evening our first evening in chilly Mount Hagen was over.
Next day it was time to explore. We found out that show was starting today , but after a lot of confusions seems we missed opening of it . Of course in light of this we needed some way to lift our spirits high again .
We ended up instead going to local coffee and cake shop that was absolutely lifesaver . BANZ KOFI is truly awesome . Proper coffee with proper toasted sandwiches in a little oasis garden where you can chill and smoke . Magical .
It became a habit to wake up and head for this little shop every day .
ZERO FIGHTER A6M PLANE