First impressions of Japan are :
- Funny toilets : Of course as being touristthat`s the first thing i noticed . I just don`t press the buttons .LOL
On the way to Japan
- Very Clean and organized ( There are no garbage on streets , everything looks organized .All the places are full with cleansing gels and tissues .Everyone looks clean , haven`t seen anyone homeless or dirty around , maybe its just area im in - seen man who might been homeless, but even he was looking neat with all his bags on the street . In subway station there are people cleaning floors and walls everywhere . )
-Non smoking country (I think in about 4 hours walk i have seen about 5 smokers in total . There are no astray on streets or anything that would say that you can smoke , you almost feel uncomfortable to smoke .One of locals suggested that i buy pocket astray - so i did ! Guess its time to become a non smoker again !)
- Good food ( As you walk down the street you can smell good food . Its amazing . I tried noodle soup today ! Big portion with slice or pork and egg . And some green stuff (??? no idea what is it )To order noodles you have to buy them from wending machine inside the restaurant and that they receive order and bring food . Interesting way ! They have lots of sauces on tables in restaurants so you can make any flavour you like , i did not use any ! Even in regular stores you can buy some food and it looks good too !I got instant noodles , rice (like a sushi peace ) , sweets , bread for lunch and i am very happy with that . )
First look at Japan
- No one speaks English(Only a little bit ) (their language is Japanese , so why would they speak English . Over all need to learn some basic Japanese and off you go !I use simple pointing system . Point at object and show thumbs up or down . Body language s the same as everywhere else , so can make sense .Or you can download Google translate on you smartphone .I got lost today and have no smartphone , but anyone i asked was happy to help and got Google maps for me , so no problem there )
-Japan is expensive ( Maybe its the currency exchange or Japanese signs , but if feels and looks expensive . If you compare it to other places . But more time you spend here , more you realize - its about life style .I eat breakfast in hostel (from supermarket ) and lunch the same - only meal out is dinner ! But even dinner can be cheap - ramen yesterday was only 650 yen ( about 5 euro ) i don`t think that`s very expensive fr capital city . I think in Europe the same prices is most of the places .I think just have to look around before grabbing first thing in front of you .)
-Friendly . (Today i walked in this little caffee and got cup of tea .My plan was to chill there for a bit and enjoy people watching on the street .
There old lady (73 years old ) started talking to me ...In Japanese . We could not communicate at all . very basic + sign language and drawing . We still managed to talk and later on her daughter came and got laptop running with Google translate . And we talked for about 2 hours . Lovely ! They even gave me a gift .Little souvenir to keep !
And i asked many people on streets to help me with directions and everyone was so help-full , even offered to walk me to the place ! )
Crazy Japan toilet !
- Safe .. (Can not even explain , but if feels very very safe! No-one bothers you trying to sell things. Even in biggest areas there are no pushing or anything like that , have this village vibe all over the place . )
Next is to explore Tokyo with bicycle in night time , i hear many good things about it !