Outside West Indies Wine Bar in Camana Bay. They have few high and low tables and Carlos Lee have set few chess boards and figures for the game. I was here for the first time so I got a glass of wine from West Indies wine bar huge collection and just stood outside to see how others play. It was a funny mix of players. Some tiny children were making moves against adult players. Male, female, young, old and whichever nationality was there, no one really cared. All everyone wanted to do is play chess. Atmosphere is relaxed.
Shaun and Carlos are the ones who organize everything related to Chess.
Carlos lee teaches kids and adults to play chess and then on this event some of them come down and see what they learned. You can easily meet him at Chess Tuesdays. He’s always around.
Cayman Islands Chess Association was founded back in 2012 by Shaun Tracey
Chess club website: http://www.caymanchessclub.com/about
Fun Facts about chess
- The longest chess game theoretically possible is 5,949 moves.
- The longest official chess game lasted 269 moves (I. Nikolic – Arsovic, Belgrade 1989) and ended in a draw.
- The folding Chess board was originally invented in 1125 by a Chess-playing priest. Since the Church forbids priests to play Chess, he hid his Chess board by making one that looked simply like two books lying together.
- The oldest recorded chess game in history is from the 900s, between a historian from Baghdad and his student
- The longest tournament game of chess lasted for 269 moves (20 hours, 15 minutes)